Saturday, November 28, 2009

Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

I had my baby girl 4 months ago and notice every time I take a shower I get a HUGE handful of hair! Also, I notice a ton of new baby hair all around my face!? I used to have a little bit of a receding hair line on one side ever since I was little, and all of a sudden it's filled in with hair?



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

Causes of Hair Changes During Pregnancy



Changes to hair on the scalp. Many women notice that the hair on their head is thicker during pregnancy. Many lose a lot of hair a few weeks or months after delivery. These changes are normal. Hair growth generally returns to its regular growing cycle within six months after delivery.



When you're not pregnant, the hairs on your head grow in a regular cycle. Each hair:



* Usually grows about one-half inch per month for anywhere from two to six years



* Then goes into a 閳ユ笧esting閳?phase for 2 or 3 months



* Then gradually falls out, usually when you閳ユ獧e brushing or washing your hair



The growth cycle then starts again. At any one time, about 10 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase, and about 90 percent is growing.



During pregnancy, hairs tend to stay in the resting phase longer. And much more of your hair is in the resting phase at any one time. Therefore, fewer hairs fall out each day. This causes your hair to seem thicker and fuller.



After delivery, this resting phase shortens. More hairs fall out, and you start to grow new hair. But the normal hair loss that was delayed by pregnancy tends to take place all at one time. This may cause your hair to seem thinner than usual.



Other hair growth. Some women also develop more hair on their chin, upper lip, cheeks, arms and legs during pregnancy. You also may notice new hairs (sometimes even just one or two) on your breasts, belly and back.



Pregnancy hormones and increased cortisone cause this type of hair growth during pregnancy. This growth usually lessens within about six months after pregnancy.



Hair Changes: What You Can Do



Hair growth on the face, arms and legs during pregnancy is normal. Your hair growth should return to its regular cycle within six months after delivery.



To get rid of unwanted hair growth, you can safely tweeze, wax or shave. Avoid using bleaches or depilatories that can be absorbed into the skin. Permanent hair-removal techniques (such as electrolysis) are thought to be safe during pregnancy. But they can be painful or uncomfortable.



You can do several things to have a healthier head of hair during pregnancy and after delivery:



* Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables. These may provide protection for the hair shafts and encourage hair growth.



* Be gentle with your hair when it is fragile and wet. Avoid fine-tooth combs.



* Avoid using blow dryers and other heated hair instruments. If you must use a hair dryer, use the cooler settings.



* Avoid pigtails, cornrows, tight braids and tight hair rollers. They can pull and stress your hairs.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

well im no expert but i dont think you lose hair while you are pregnant and the pregnant hormones are probably finally leaving you and that would explain the hair lose... pregnancy hormones probably explain the extra hair around your face too.



pat



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

This is COMPLETELY NORMAL, and I even went to a dermatologist about it after my son was born last year. As your body tries to get back to normal after giving birth, it's very, very, very common to lose a lot of hair in certain places and gain some hair in others. This process can last from 6 months to a year! But, don't worry, it will get back to normal eventually. Just let it happen - don't use Rogaine or anything like that, according to my dermatologist.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

When pregnant you loose a lot less hair than normal because of all the hormones in your body, then after you have the baby you loose all that extra hair you've been keeping during that nine months. I'm sure the hair loss will stop soon.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

Oh my yes I am totally in the same boat..I just had my 4th girl who is 5 months old and I am shedding my hair... it's crazy..everymorning in the shower i can pull out handfulls..I asked my hairdresser after my first baby and she said it is totally normal



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

yeap... I lost alot after both of my kids. I think while you are pg your body stops losing hair for whatever reason... then when you have the baby, well those hairs have worn out their pardon and fall out.



MIne fell out when I stopped taking my prenatal vitamins.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

It is very normal! Don't worry. Your hair will stop falling out, and will grow back. Heres something I found on a website "Postpartum moms are often shocked to find that a few months after giving birth, they start to lose their hair. You might run your fingers through your hair and big clumps come out at once or you may notice that your shower drain or hairbrush are filling up much faster than before. So why does this happen?



A. Normally, your hair is in a cycle of growing, resting and shedding. At any given time, you could be losing as many as 200 hairs per day. This is not a problem when you consider that there could be 100,000 or more hairs actively growing.



When you are pregnant, however, estrogen prolongs growth and those 200 hairs you'd be losing are put into the growth phase and very little hair is resting or shedding. This is why so many women who are pregnant have that thick, gorgeous mane.



After giving birth, your estrogen levels start to return to normal and so you start losing hair again. All that "extra" hair that was growing goes into the resting phase for a few months and then suddenly you are shedding all those hairs. "



I hope that helps!



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

when you have a girl they take out your hair and its true because it happened to me but when I had my son I had grew the most beautiful and long hair so that like the only bad thing with having girls they take out your hair don't worry it will grow back soon.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

oh yes, this is the fun part!! completely normal post partum stuff, mine just started a couple of weeks ago, my baby is 4 months old, luckily I have a lot of hair so it's not too bad on me or even noticeable, unless you see the drain in my shower!



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

I know how you feel. I have really long hair and had a lot of hair falling out and had new hair growing. After 6 months of this, I finally went to see my doctor and this is what I found out...



During your pregnancy, you don't really loose all that much hair because of the hormones and the hair growth is slow. After you have the baby (and the longer you nurse the longer peiod of time this will happen) the hormones allow for the hair to fall of making way for new hair.



From personal experience, its more noticeable if you have long hair. I have really long hair so I noticed it more. Don't worry after you stop nursing it will all even out and you won't loose as much hair as before.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

both mum and baby will losing hair a while after the labour



it took me 9 months to get my hair grow back....



my baby passed his losing hair time, he grows lots of hair now



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

I have this same problem!!!



TONS of hair comes out in the shower and its all over my bed and pillow.



My son is 5.5 months old. My hairstylist said its normal with pregnancy.



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

yes its normal to lose your after baby i had the exact same thing it has something to do with your hormones



Is it normal to lose a lot of hair after having a baby?

This is a completely normal condition called "Post partum alopecia." It is the result of your body adjusting to no longer having the HcG levels that pregnancy causes. Another cause could be if you had anything other than "completely natural" childbirth. If you had pain relief of any sort (epidural, local, general, etc) your body could take up to 18 months to readjust. This is "post-surgical alopecia." It's the reason most hairdressers won't perm or color pregnant women, those about to have surgery or anyone who fit either category within the previous year. It doesn't typically end well.



Just keep chanting: Hair grows...hair grows...hair grows



I promise it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan